Sunday, January 29, 2012

Backpack Setup

 Large post, I know, but this my usual outfit on my backpack. First off the backpack was a freebee from a national guard recruiter I know. The backpack is well faded and has been through literal hell and high water. The bottle I got from the dollar store. I did some simple half-hitching on the bottle to give a little decoration and extra grip to the bottle. The second item is a lanyard I made in case I need to dummy cord an object to myself real quick. Its a cross knot lanyard i made using a tutorial on Stormdrane's blog. Its rather nice for attaching almost anything to myself, almost like having an extra hand.The third item are the backpack straps i did some loose knotting over, just to give some easy quick access cord, and to just look good. The fourth picture is just a close-up of them. I tied them relatively loose to avoid excess bunch-up of the strap material, and so it can be untied quickly, and I tied the cord in a way i can still adjust the straps. The final picture are some ranger beads i made using a couple diamond knots, and a random knotting method to make the beads. As you can see there are two different sections of beads, 1 section with 4 beads, and the other with 9 beads. Ranger beads are a means of measuring your pace and distance travelled. I'll give you all some real quick instructions for if you ever get lost in suburbia. first, measure how many left steps it takes to travel 100 meters (or yards), for instructional purposes lets say that magical number is 70. For every 70  left steps you take, you pull down one of the lower beads (the set of 9). and continue untill you've pulled down all 9 beads(that'll mean you have travelled 900 meters), after the next set of 70 left steps, (that'll be 1000 meters), you push all 9 beads up, and pull down one of the upper beads, (part of the set of 4) and repeat. It follows the same principle as an abacus. You can measure distances of up to 5000 meters with that set up if you do it right. here are a couple examples:
2 upper beads pulled down and 6 lower beads pulled down=2600 meters
4 upper beads down and 2 lower beads= 4200 meters


No comments:

Post a Comment